Monday, October 7, 2013

Fear Is ugly

I was taught that fear is ugly. Fear is weakness. Being afraid is something to hide, to be ashamed of. Admitting I’m scared us something it took me a long time to learn, and learning it earlier would have saved me a lot of grief. I was told that my fear was wrong and illogical and an ugly mess of feelings that were better off buried deep inside my heart. But when I let this fear into my heart, instead of acknowledging it, it spread and infected the rest of my life. Fear is a disease- it rots people from the inside out, destroying relationships and crumbling lives into something that only vaguely resembles functionality.

Fear is normal. Fear is healthy and human. Everyone’s afraid of something. I’m afraid of things almost constantly. But I’m not afraid of my fear. It’s only when we let our fear consume us that it becomes ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment