Monday, October 7, 2013

Everyone Will Be Sad (At Some Point or Another)

I was taught that sadness is a part of life- that everyone will be sad at times. There’s no way to escape sadness, only to accept it and let it run its course.  But I also learned that many people are unhappy because of something you cannot see or understand. They aren’t sad because someone died, or broke their heart or because they watched a sad movie. Perhaps they are unhappy because of their job, or life at home, or perhaps they are simply depressed and have no definable answer for why they are sad. I watched it happen to my mother, and my father, and my best friend. It happened to me. I lived through that deep sadness and then I felt nothing at all. And to this day, I still don’t know which is worse. But I often think that feeling sad is better than not feeling anything, in the long run. Sadness is the sort of thing that will fade with time, given the right circumstances. Sadness is recognizable and understandable and quantifiable. Sadness can be measured on a scale of one to ten. You can’t measure a lack of emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment