Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day Two: Welcome to Venice!

OHMYGOSH. this is incredible. Its really hard for me to actually believe that i'm here. I wake up every morning and its like, oh my god. i am IN VENICE, ITALY. whoooooooooooo! its really as beautiful as everyone makes it out to be. the only problem is that theres a lot of construction going on, so the left side of St. Mark's Basilica and the Bridge of Sighs are all covered up with this weird billboard ad stuff... -SIGH- but for some reason, despite the billboard ads and the fact that there are more tourists than actual Venitians, i feel like i got plopped down in a fairy tale.

And yes, i got lost. several times in fact. My mother, god knows why, decided to let me lead the way even though my sense of direction is severely crippled by my sense of adventure. The first really bad time was in daylight, on our way back from St. Mark's Square. we ended up finally running into the Grand Canal, near the Rialto Bridge, so we could find our way back from there. But the last time was late, on the way back from dinner. I got us back part of the way, but got inevitably lost anyways. It was fun, though. This time, we ended up moving away from the touristy shops and restaurants, and into dark shadowy backroads. it took us probly twenty minutes until i magically got us to the Campo nearest our house. I was proud of myself, but i didnt really do much except decide which random direction to go in. the thing with venice is, its exciting to get lost, and if you wander around long enough, eventually you get to where you're going.

No comments:

Post a Comment